Scripture and questions for study and reflection:
Read Proverbs 20:7, 22:6 and Joshua 24:15.
1. Why is it important for adults to live righteous/blameless lives and how might this be a blessing to their children? (See Proverbs 20:7)
2. Read Proverbs 22:6. Why is it so important to “start children off on the way they should go”?
3. Pastor Mick talked about the church helping parents teach their kids, but the primary responsibility lies with the parents. He said we can’t sub-contract this out to others / institutions. Do you agree? Why or why not? How have shifts in culture made this more difficult?
4. Read Proverbs 23:13-14. This “spare the rod spoil the child” concept has some negative connotations in the modern world around the topic of abuse. What do you think? Are there other “rods” that parents can use to effectively discipline their children?
5. What happens when parents fail to discipline their children? Is it good for the kids in the long run?
6. Why is it important for kids to “honor their father and mother”? What happens when they don’t?
7. Why is it important for families to be part of the bigger family of God (church)?
Prayer for the Week:
Heavenly Father, how I thank you for your continued love and guidance in my life. Your Word truly is a lamp for my feet and a light on my path. Thank you for the wise words of Proverbs that offer such wisdom for my life. Help me Lord, to live according to your wisdom. Help me to lead my family the way you call me to lead. Help me to fully participate in my church family in accordance with your will. Help me to help others experience the joy and peace of being connected to the family of God as I live and lead by example. All praise and glory to you, Lord. Amen.