Sermon: “Blockbuster Christianity”
Scripture: Acts 2: 1-12
Speaker: Pastor Mick Whistler
Scripture and questions for study and reflection:
Read Acts 2:1-12.
1. How is today’s passage the fulfillment of God’s promise, which Jesus spoke of in Acts 1:4?
2. What does Jesus expect of us once this promise is fulfilled (see Acts 1:8)?
3. Pastor Mick compared the events of Acts 2:1-12 to a Blockbuster Summer movie. What do you think he was saying with this comparison?
4. Do you think Blockbuster events/moments still happen in the life of the church? In your own lives? Why or why not?
5. Pastor Mick used the phrase “Reverse the Curse” when comparing this event to the Tower of Babel story in Genesis 11? How are God’s actions in each story different and why did God do what he did in each story? (Hint: think about self-centered vs. God-centered, human power vs. God’s power)
6. Do you think the modern Church is an Acts 2 Church, or have we regressed back to the days of Babel? Why?
Prayer for the Week:
Lord Jesus, remind us that sometimes what we need to do most is to simply wait. Wait upon God and follow his lead. We confess that we don’t like to wait. We like to be in control. We forget that your ways are higher than our ways and your thoughts are higher than our thoughts. Send your Holy Spirit in powerful and unexpected ways once again to remind us of our great need for you. Fill us to overflowing with your power, your love, your mercy and your grace. Help us to truly be your witness across the street and around the world. Remind us that no one is excluded from your love and grace. Help us to be more like the Apostle Paul, becoming all things to all people so that by all means some might be saved. May all that we say and do advance your Kingdom and bring you glory. In the strong name of Jesus we pray. Amen.