Sermon: “Offer Them Christ”
Scripture: Acts 8: 26-40
Speaker: Pastor Mick Whistler
Scripture and questions for study and reflection:
Read Acts 8:26-40.
1. What do you think about the way God called Philip to go to Gaza? What does that say about the way God might call us to unexpected places?
2. What is significant about the Ethiopian eunuch? How would he have been viewed by society in his time?
3. Last week Max Wilkins asked us, “Who is your Samaritan?” He meant who are those folks living on the margins with whom you’d rather not associate? Today’s passage begs a similar question, “Who is your Ethiopian?” In other words, who is someone very different than you to whom God may be calling you to minister?
4. Philip offers the Ethiopian help by explaining the Scriptures to him. What are some practical ways you can offer help to the “Ethiopians” in your life?
5. Philip offers the Ethiopian hope by sharing the Good News of Jesus with him. How might you offer hope to those God puts in your path?
6. Ultimately, Philip was offering the Ethiopian Christ through this encounter, even baptizing him along the road. What might this whole encounter teach us about our mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ? When has God unexpectedly put someone in your path to whom you could share the Good News of Jesus? Did you do it, or did you miss the opportunity?
Prayer for the Week:
Thank you Jesus, for all the people you put in my path to whom I can share the Good News of your great love. Help me to recognize when you are doing this and help me to be obedient to your will. Just as others have reached out to me in my life and helped me grow in my faith, help me to do the same for others. Help me to truly be the hands and feet of Jesus in my little corner of the world today. May all that I say and do point others to you. May I truly reach out to those who don’t yet know you, and offer them help, hope and Christ. Amen.