Series: Not a Fan
Sermon: “The Rule of Grace”
Scripture: John 8:1-11
Speaker: Pastor Mick Whistler
Scripture and questions for study and reflection:
Read John 8:1-11.
1. In this week’s passage, the Pharisees try to use the Law as a weapon, not only against the woman caught in adultery, but also against Jesus. When have you been guilty of using Scripture as a weapon against those who sin differently than you?
2. Why do you think it is so easy to put religious rules ahead of relationship with Jesus?
3. Jesus says, “If any of you are without sin, let him be the first one to throw a stone at her.” What is Jesus telling us through this phrase?
4. When there are no accusers left, Jesus tells the woman, “Go now and leave your life of sin.” What does this say to us about our need for grace and repentance?
5. In the video clip, Kyle Idleman talks about being inoculated with Jesus. That is, we get just enough Jesus in us to make us immune to how He calls us to live. How have you seen this play out in your own life or in the lives of others around you?
6. Also in the video, Idleman tells the story of a father who says of his daughter, “We raised her in the church, but we didn’t raise her in Christ.” What do you think he means by this? Is this a danger we all face? What could/should we do differently?
Prayer for the Week:
Jesus, I love you so much and I invite you to be the Lord of my life. Grant me the wisdom to discern your will for my life and the courage to follow your leading. I surrender my life to you anew this day, and I willingly take up my cross to follow you. These are easy words to speak in the safety of this place, but much harder to do out in the world. Help me to be your good and faithful servant. Help me to be a completely committed follower of Jesus, going out into the world to make new followers and transform the world. I pray this in your most precious name, Jesus, through the power of the Holy Spirit, and to the glory of God Almighty. Amen.