Series: Not a Fan
Scripture: Matthew 7: 21-23
Speaker: Pastor Mick Whistler
Scripture and questions for study and reflection:
This morning we are beginning our 6-week church-wide sermon series on Not A Fan. Not a Fan is a serious study that powerfully communicates a challenging message of the Gospel. Whether Jesus was speaking to large crowds or small groups, He made sure everyone was clear on what it meant to follow Him. As believers...we’re called to do the same. Jesus is NOT looking for fans...He’s looking for followers.
1. Read Matthew 7:21-23. What does this Scripture text mean to you? In this passage, Jesus says, “I never knew you; depart from Me,” to those who apparently worked for Him or did work in His name. How is this shocking conclusion of “depart from Me” possible? Does this text mean that believers can lose their salvation?
2. Jesus gives us many examples throughout Scripture of what His follower looks like...as you read through the following Scripture texts...are you truly living out your life the way Jesus instructs? Are you making an attempt?
Read Luke 14:33. 2 Timothy 2:2-3. Matthew 28:19-20. John 21:17.
3. What is your relationship with Jesus? Do you want all the benefits without all the commitment? Do you only call on Jesus when you’re in need? To what lengths will you go to show your love and commitment for Jesus?
4. In the sermon we discussed these questions: Why Are You Here? Are You All In? Have You Made it Your Own? What are your responses to these questions?
5. Are you a fan? Are you a follower? What is proof that you are one or the other? Do you need to make any changes in your life in order to be a “committed” follower of Jesus?
Prayer for the Week:
Gracious and Almighty God, thank you for this day and thank you for loving me even when I’ve gone astray. I confess that I am not always a committed follower of you, Jesus...but, I pray that you will give me the strength, the courage, and yes, the boldness to be the Christian, to be the believer you have called me to be. I love you, Lord and I am “All In”...I am a committed follower of you, Jesus! Amen.