Sermon: “I Am the Way”
Scripture: John 14: 1-7
Speaker: Pastor Diane Mendelson
Scripture and questions for study and reflection:
This morning we’re continuing our sermon series on “Who is Jesus” and the “I Am” statements of Jesus. Over the past month we’ve had the opportunity to hear Jesus say, “I Am the Good Shepherd, I Am the Light, I Am the Bread, I Am the Gate, and I Am the Resurrection and the Life.” This morning Jesus will tell us: “I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.”
Read John 14:1-7.
1. Why are the disciples troubled? What has Jesus been telling them that might give them reason to be troubled? (Read John 13:21, 33, 36-38.)
How does Jesus comfort them?
2. What does Jesus mean by “my Father’s house”? What does He promise the disciples? How does this promise affect you?
3. What comes to mind when you think of heaven? What will heaven be like? Does the thought of heaven, and what waits for you there, help you to weather the storms of life? What storms have you encountered that, by having the hope of heaven, helps or have helped you weather these storms in your life?
4. Which disciple speaks up and confesses that he does not know where Jesus is going? Is this a legitimate question? Why didn’t he know where Jesus was going? How does Jesus answer the question about knowing the way?
5. What does Jesus mean that He is the way, the truth and the life? What does Jesus reveal in this statement about being the “I Am”? How many ways are there to get to the Father?
6. Challenge for the week! This week, make a commitment to share the hope that Jesus provides in this passage, with one person who you know needs an anchor in the midst of his or her storm.
Prayer for the Week:
Gracious Lord, it is with a grateful heart that I come to you, giving you all the praise and glory for all things. You are such a loving Lord who continues to guide me, even when I go astray. You are my anchor in the midst of the storms in my life. Thank you for laying your life down for me, forgiving me of my sins and preparing an eternal home in heaven for me. You truly are the only way to the Father. I love you and thank you. Amen.