Sermon: “It Happened”
Scripture: 2 Samuel 11:1-5
Speaker: Pastor Mick Whistler
Scripture and questions for study and reflection:
This morning we’re continuing our sermon series on the Seven Deadly Sins + 1. This morning we’re looking at the sin of “Lust.”
1. Read Galatians 5:19-21. Take time for honest, prayerful selfappraisal. Which of these “acts of flesh” do you find in your life? Do you believe these are a result of our human brokenness?
2. Continue reading Galatians 5:22-23. Where do you see the fruits of the spirit growing in your life? Do you believe these are godly characteristics? Why?
3. Read 2 Peter 1:3-9. In this text, Peter says that God’s forgiveness and divine love give us the inner strength we need to stand firm against the evils of this world. What are the positive virtues God offers us? Which of the positive virtues that Peter lists in verses 5-7 are most appealing to you? What does Peter say will happen if we add these virtues to our life?
4. Read Colossians 3:1-10. What are some practices you have found that help you set your mind on things above? What activities seem to draw you away from God?
5. Paul says that a Christian has taken off the old self, with its practices, and put on a new self. Can you see places where this has happened in your life? Where does your “old self” still give you trouble?
Prayer for the Week:
Gracious God in Heaven, please show me what is in my heart. If there is anything impure or displeasing to you, please fill my heart with your love. Forgive me when I give in to temptation and open my heart to the allure of lust. Create in me a clean heart and show me the joy of living and loving in a way that pleases you. It is in your name I pray, Lord. Amen.