Sermon: “The Right to Remain Silent”
Scripture: James 3:3-8
Speaker: Pastor Mick Whistler
Scripture and questions for study and reflection:
This morning we wrap up the 7 Deadly Sins plus 1. The plus 1 sin could possibly be the most dangerous of them all. Not only can it be a “church killer”…it can pretty much be an “everything killer.” What are we talking about? GOSSIP!
1. How would you define “gossip”? What about “slander”?
2. How has gossip affected you personally? What were the immediate and long-term effects from the gossip? How did you respond?
3. Billy Graham suggested that we ask ourselves three things before we speak: Is it true? Is it kind? Does it glorify God? How might asking these questions help us as we sort out whether we should or should not listen to someone who wants to share something with us? How might these questions help keep us from spreading gossip?
4. The Bible has quite a bit to say about gossip/slander. Read Psalm 15:1-3, Proverbs 10:18, 1 Timothy 5:13 and Proverbs 16:28. What are some of the consequences of spreading gossip/slander?
5. What changes do you need to make to remove the sin of “gossip” and “slander” from your life?
Prayer of the Week:
Gracious Lord and Savior, you have warned me that I will be judged by the words I speak. Please keep me mindful that I have influence on many people. Help me to speak in a way that glorifies and honors You, Lord. Give me the courage I need to either distance myself or rebuke the gossiper when I find myself in a precocious situation. It’s in the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.