Series: Not a Fan
Sermon: “The Open Invitation”
Scripture: Luke 9: 23-25
Speaker: Pastor Mick Whistler
Scripture and questions for study and reflection:
1. This morning we’re continuing our church-wide sermon series “Not A Fan.” Last week you were challenged to “define your relationship” with Jesus; how did that go? What have you learned about your relationship with Jesus? What changes are you in the process of making in order to become a “Follower of Christ”?
2. Read Luke 9:23-25. What is Jesus telling the disciples? What is Jesus saying to you? How do you feel when you read this passage? Do you feel Jesus is speaking directly to you?
3. When Jesus makes His invitation, he welcomes anyone who would come after Him. But He also makes it clear that when you choose to follow Him, you are giving up everything. So, it’s anyone, but it’s everything. What do you think this means? Are you ready for what it may cost you? Are you willing to follow Jesus? Are you willing to be a committed follower of Jesus?
4. The cross was an instrument of violent and painful execution. To “take the cross” meant that you were to carry the horizontal beam of the cross to the site where the crucifixion was to take place. In our text from Luke, Jesus describes what all true disciples must be ready for if they are to follow Him. What does it mean to “take his cross daily”? How is that practically done? What are some things you might have to face by “taking up the cross”?
5. To follow Christ in obedience may require hard choices. When we choose to follow Jesus, we choose sacrifice over selfishness, the cross over comfort. What is the most difficult decision you have ever made? Why was it so hard? What is the best and worst outcome you have experienced from a tough decision?
6. Jesus says, the invitation to follow Him is always open...to anyone. Are you ready to accept Jesus’ invitation? Are you ready to extend His invitation to others? To everyone?
Prayer for the Week:
Dear Jesus, I love you so much and I invite you to be the Lord of my life. Help me to live my life according to your will. Give me wisdom and the courage to follow you. I surrender my life to you and I am willing to take up my cross to follow you. I want to be a committed follower of you Jesus; please help me to stay focused on You. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.